Amazon Pay to launch on third party websites amid Worldpay partnership

Amazon has signed a landmark deal with payments giant Worldpay which will see Amazon Pay be made available across its online network in the US.

In an effort to expand its payment system outside of its own website the ecommerce behemoth has teamed up with Worldpay, which boasts a presence in over 146 countries and processes over 40 billion payments a year.

Customers who have used Amazon Pay and have their details saved in on a particular device, will now be able to pay on third party websites instantly, similar to Paypal.

This will be the first time Amazon Pay has been made available outside of its own platform, and is set to be rolled out across the US.

READ MORE: Worldpay to merge with FIS in $43 billion deal

It is understood that as Worldpay custom built an API for Amazon allowing it to integrate Amazon Pay onto its platform in the first place, Worldpay will likely be the only payment provider to offer it for the foreseeable future.

“Working with Worldpay will make it easier for merchants to grow their business by providing customers with a familiar and trusted experience throughout the shopping journey,” vice president of Amazon Pay Patrick Gauthier said.

Worldpay’s chief product officer Asif Ramji added: “By teaming up with Amazon, we have an even stronger capacity to enable digital commerce, streamline the checkout experience and drive frictionless payments for our merchants.”

This comes just days after Worldpay announced it is set to merge with Fidelity National Information Services (FIS) in a deal worth $43 billion (£32 billion), creating a new entity with an annual revenue of over $12 billion (£9 billion).

Under the terms of the merger, FIS’ shareholders own around 53 per cent of the newly combined entity, while Worldpay shareholders will own the remaining 47 per cent.

The deal includes Worldpay’s debt which FIS is expected to refinance and will reportedly create $500 million (£377.5 million) in cost savings.

Click here to sign up to Charged free daily email newsletter



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Fill out this field
Fill out this field
Please enter a valid email address.