M&S announces major overhaul of Sparks as “digital first loyalty scheme” in huge digital push

Marks & Spencer has announced a major overhaul of its iconic Sparks loyalty programme, relaunching it as a “Digital First loyalty scheme”.

M&S’ Sparks loyalty scheme will now be entirely digital and will be hosted through an updated M&S App from Thursday July 9.

Existing members can download their Sparks cards via the app straight to their phone or have it stored on their online shopping account.

Sparks’ 7 million members will no longer receive points on their cards, but will instead have access to instant rewards including a guarantee that one customer every week will get their shopping absolutely free.

Rewards also include giveaways worth thousands of pounds to spend in store, to smaller personalised ‘customer thank yous’ like free packs of Percy Pigs and Candles.

The updated Sparks scheme will also offer better and more personalised offers to members the more they shop, thanks to significant investment in its digital and data science teams.

READ MORE: Marks & Spencer to deliver groceries via Deliveroo for first time to reach families in self-isolation

It has also more than doubled its charity partners to 35, enabling Sparks holders to donate to a charity of their choice every time they shop.

This major revamp forms part of M&S’ wider “Never the Same Again Programme”, marking a heavy investment in and focus on becoming a “digital first” retailer.

“Sparks is a vital part of how we communicate with over seven million of our most engaged M&S shoppers, and we have designed this relaunch around them,” chief digital officer Jeremy Pee said.

“With a Digital First approach, it’s simpler and easier to use but also builds our relationship with customers through a more personalised experience. We’ve injected a new sense of excitement and value and made the features they love even better, while stripping out the points and tiers system they found confusing.

“It will instantly feel more rewarding, and customers can be confident that good things will happen every time they shop with us, from winning their M&S shopping basket for free on the spot, to a donation to the cause that matter most to them.”

This move is also understood to form part of M&S plan to unite data from Sparks, M&S.com, M&S Bank and soon Ocado in order to prioritise personalisation and make major improvements to its digital experience.

Click here to sign up to Charged free daily email newsletter

Apps / MobileCompanies

Mrs Jacqueline Buckle
    July 2, 2020 6:30 pm

Really disappointed and angry – feel let down by M and S cavalier attitude to customers who have save their points which really are just being dumped

Mrs Jacqueline Buckle
    July 2, 2020 6:30 pm

Really disappointed and angry – feel let down by M and S cavalier attitude to customers who have saved their points which really are just being dumped

Carol Warnecke
    July 2, 2020 6:34 pm

What happens to the thousands of points I’ve accumulated already?

Elaine Ehrenfried
    July 2, 2020 8:54 pm

I have got thousands of points on my Sparks account. To be honest I did wonder what I was collecting them for and was often pushed by sales staff to go over to an M&S credit card which gave more rewards for spends. But having a credit card is not something I want to do as I have had a bad history with those. I have been 5 years credit free and it is a much better feeling than constant worry. As I don’t have a smart fone I don’t know quite where this leaves me.

Helen Bridger
    July 2, 2020 9:05 pm

I prefer the old system, why change what is working well.

Sheila Ferguson
    July 3, 2020 12:32 am

Marks yet again moving things regularly just like in their stores they never get it right. That card has been a joke from day one. Giving money off things you dont want and made it so unbelievably complicated i never use mine. A total waste of time why not a card with a points system wherby you get money off your shopping when you reach so many. Just make it simple.

Sean Devaney
    July 3, 2020 5:46 am

Why are people moaning about the points? They don’t have a money value. All they did was give access to the next tier i.e early sales previews, and these reward tiers are not there anymore. So what have you lost with the points, nothing I would say, its not like you could spend them.

• M@S really need to get their act together .I think I will throw my card away ,I must have 7,000 points on it not a clue what for.

Miss C Berry
    July 4, 2020 5:37 pm

Not sure why people are moaning about the points. The point system worked for every £ you spent you received 10 points.( look at this way 7000 points means you had spent £700 in M&S and at some stage you must have used the 20% off offers
    on some of your purchases. If you didn’t what was the point of having the card and collecting points? ) They were never meant to have a monetary value. The points gave you more offers and a preview to the sales.

• I had over 200,000 yes 200,000 so what now?
    I never understood why I dad to show my Sparks card when paying with my M&S credit card – surely they should have been linked?
    Bah to M&S