Sainsbury’s is cancelling delivery orders and permanently blocking accounts without explanation

Sainsbury’s customers have had their online orders cancelled and accounts blocked by the retailer due to supposed “fraudulent activity” despite it providing no evidence.

A number of customers have complained of being told by Sainsbury’s hours before their delivery was due that their orders would not be arriving.

After contacting Sainsbury’s customer service teams, these customers were informed that their accounts had been barred due to suspected fraudulent activity, but that they were unable to discuss any details.

According to the Financial Times, which first reported the story, many customers were also forced to wait up to five days to get their money refunded.

Customers have taken to the online review website Trustpilot to voice their complaints, many of which have also struggled to secure an online delivery slot during lockdown.

Deborah Depaah said that after missing a delivery, she was informed her account was locked for “security reasons” and that Sainbsury’s was unable to give her an “exact reason” for the action.

READ MORE: Sainsbury’s products now available on both Deliveroo and Uber Eats as it rushes to expand delivery capabilities

“If I was such a threat why did they collect money?” Depaah questioned.

Another customer Cydelle Stewart who was shielding during the first lockdown, told the Financial Times that her £181.80 order was cancelled, but her account had been charged.

Stewart was told by Sainsbury’s that her account was “prohibited”, which indicated fraudulent activity was detected, however when she called her bank no evidence of fraudulent activity could be found.

While Sainsbury’s refunded the money the following day, Stewart’s account remained blocked and she was told she could appeal to have it re-opened.

Numerous other examples can be found on Trustpilot, including customers who are clinically vulnerable and had purchased 12 month delivery passes, where customers were not given any clear reasons for their accounts being permanently blocked.

Sainsbury’s said in a statement: “We serve hundreds of thousands of customers through our online delivery service every week. We have processes in place to protect customer accounts and it’s rare for these to be triggered incorrectly.

“In the rare cases these are triggered incorrectly we will reactivate them as soon as it is brought to our attention. We’re looking into what could have triggered them in this case.”

Click here to sign up to Charged’s free daily email newsletter

Delivery / Supply ChainEcommerceSecurity

• My account blocked tonight just 2 days before scheduled delivery. No reason and help centre said could give no information. Had no previous problems with past deliveries and have used them for many years. Wife and I in mid ups. Have no shops anywhere near us. Live in rural Shropshire. Don’t know how we can get supplies

• Come on! If my account was compromised I would hope that Sainsburys or any other high street retailers, should communicate to their customers and act accordingly. Sometimes this is necessary to keep us all safe and trust who we are shopping with.

• I agree. They may not have given an explanation but if there’s an automatic system that protects customers, isn’t that good? I do think they should put on extra deliveries for those customers who went without and still haven’t been able to get their groceries however.

• Agreed, sainsburys will be following a process that protects everyone and keeps them insured. Some of the individual customers stories are sad, but I’m sure inaction would have had more far reaching consequences.

Pamela Harrison
    November 19, 2020 11:55 pm

Could it be staff?

• I am both disabled and a keyworker, and have had Sainsbury’s online deliveries since they started, but could get no deliveries over the first wave of covid, and often had to go to Asda late at night at the end of an 88 hour week.
    Now they’re back, their standards are appalling.
    Asda here I come.

• We use Asda but occasionally we’ve had deliveries not arriving and if you want to know anything you get through to a call centre in the Philippines who tell you that your delivery is on the van and coming anytime. All sorts of lies to get you off the line!

Iris Hedgecock
    November 20, 2020 9:38 am

Unfortunately technology has gone on a pace and sounds like at Sainsbury’s it has overtaken the humans who operate it. If a debit card is compromised its usually your bank that flags it up first so most oeople will know already. Sainsbury needs to improve theirsecurity and ops centre or more importantly the people who work there. Glad Ishop at Waitrose!!

• I experienced the same. I emailed the head honcho of Sainsbury’s but was told my account has been blocked for no good reason .

• Went to order for next week and appears they have changed their slots .all normal slots booked at £4.then they have this saver option they are normal priced but a 4 hour window.

• Are all Sainsbury’s delivery drivers this hansom?

• Mine was blocked due to ‘fraudulent activity even though I have been a customer for over 19 years. I called as my delivery didn’t turn up and was told very sheepishly that they didn’t know why. My nectar points nosedive but they didn’t know why. I don’t trust Sainsbury’s any more so goodbye to them and hello Tesco

• My experience is that Sainsbury’s don’t take monies until the order is picked ready for delivery on delivery day. I have had no problems whatsoever and find the delivery drivers to be great ambassadors for the company. It is reassuring that there are checks and systems to identify potential security breaches. I feel sorry for those customers who are unfairly affected by these measures and trust that Sainsbury’s will react quickly to genuine complaints and concerns offering compensation where appropriate

• Yes they take the money and then cancel the order and it can take up to 5 days to get your money back. I have had my account cancelled once and my order CANCELLED 3 times!! It has nothing to do with my bank!
      The last time I tried to order they tried to take £7 for an order that was over £40. Also their prices for similar items were 20 to 30% higher than Tesco.
      I have gone back to Tesco as you can rely on them while shielding!

Anna Agiantritis
      November 21, 2020 1:12 pm

Doesn’t seem like any of You live in The Real World of Technology!
      Their system has been hacked!
      Deal with it!
      And it’s your own Banks that delay refunds! Read the Fine Print! Refunds are anywhere from 3-7 working days!
      Stop your whining, and think out of the Box!
      Get a family member or friend to shop for you until this mess is sorted.

• I had three emails from Sainsbury’s at 9 o’clock last night saying that I had tried to change my password unsuccessfully and they were blocking my account fortunately for me I didn’t have an order in process , You can keep your card details on your account with Sainsbury’s if someone was to get access to your account they could do a food order and change the delivery addresses or even click and collect that way they don’t even need an address , on your Sainsbury’s account change your password make sure you haven’t kept your payment details on there , Check delivery address is the same as yours

• Its come to my attention some people keep delivery slots NY putting one bottle of booze in it that’s just selfish IMO hope people a no do this get banned someone may need that slot desperate.

• Everyone does that, it’s how you reserve a slot. No one wants to sit and do a full shop as soon as they get a slot. I always save my slot with a bottle of champagne!

• Yes of course it is, blame the staff, horrible nasty keyworkers…. sack them all… OMG!!

• Omg…..you obviously don’t work in retail…. I have worked all throu lockdown….what about you horrible rude customers. We get paid to be polite and deliver customer service….not put up with rude customers. Would you let someone speak to your parents the way we get spoke to on a daily basis and want them sacking…..I very much doubt it

Jennifer James
    November 20, 2020 3:59 pm

Stopped using Sainsbury’s in the summer after 3 disastrous deliveries due to them smashing so much of my delivery. Found out it was sent from their Oldbury store 10 miles away, rather than Mere Green or Castle Vale stores, both within 3 miles from my home and who were fine in the past.

• Looks like 1984 has reached Braintree…

I had an order booked for delivery from sainsbury today. I’ve used them in the past but not for a while. I got a txt this morning saying “delivery is on the way” 2 hours later I got a txt saying my “order was cancelled”. I tried logging in to my account and it says its locked. I called and was told my account had been prohibited and would I like to appeal. Since I have obviously been accused of a crime, trialled, convicted and sentence carried out already, I asked if I might know the reason why I have been prohibited before I appealed the sentence. I was told “I am not at Liberty to divulge that information”. So I asked why he knew and was allowed to know, but me, the accused and convicted, was not allowed to know, his response was “I don’t know”.

I have lodged an “appeal” to a sentence for a crime I am not allowed to know about.

• This is exactly what happened to me. Feel like a criminal..

Exec office has just told me they have the right cancel and prohibit accounts whenever they want. They cant tell why I received my second delivery while my account was prohibited???

• Got Argos card and shop with sainsbury but they closed and blocked account saying fraudulent activity spotted but I shop using my argos card to my house were its registered and they both seem to 1 and the same company so how did they pull that off
    My guess was they couldn’t fulfill so they were just doing this

• Glad I don’t shop at Sainsbury. I’ll stick to Tesco I think, they don’t do stuff like this !

Malcolm Preston
      November 21, 2020 10:54 am

I have used Morrison’s, but they are rubbish, use Tesco’s now and they are brilliant, even if they havnt got the brand name of what you want, they use a substitute, something Morrison’s never did, your order was always short of stuff

• I was told my my delivery driver that Sainsbury’s were cancelling orders at the last minute as they did not have enough delivery people!!

• I have just received my order delivered bya very cheerful and helpful driver I completely trust this company

Elizabeth Reavill
    November 20, 2020 11:04 pm

After reading all the complaints from folk who won’t use Sainsbury’s again. I’d like to place on record my greatful thanks for all my deliveries. Always come at my booked delivery time and always by cheerful drivers. I’m more than satisfied. Thank you Sainsbury’s.
    Elizabeth

• This has been a very long ongoing saga, with Saisburys and thought I was alone until I saw this post. I placed 2 orders on the same day, when the 1st one was due I was told 50mins before that it was cancelled. Called the customer service team, although not sure why they are called that as they cant help with anything. After god knows how many attempts to get answers I was at a loss and was told that my second order was cancelled due to account being prohibited.. guess what, my second delivery actually arrived. When I phone customer service team. They said “it must have slipped through the net as your not have recieved it as your account is on hold” so confused now. I wrote to the executive office who have been as useful as a chocolate fire place. Waited over 10 days for my 1st refund and had to chase for that….

You then read that sainsbury’s are losing money??? Not surprising if they shutting lots of peoples accounts down.

This is a much longer story with ongoing after math. But thought I would share. Never will I use them again after making me feel like some sort of criminal

• You cant beat Tesco

• This is exactly what happened to me. Feel like a criminal..

• Oh look bad press about Sainsbury’s now . . . I wonder why?! I’ve had my order cancelled by Waitrose at last minute – It happens. I’ll be surprised if Sainsbury’s are not prioritising vulnerable people, even when orders are unfortunately cancelled!

• This is a load of crap. I know someone who is a delivery driver for Sainsbury’s and this just sounds like a Karen getting pissy

• Waitrose much better service , always polite friendly drivers , customer service is excellent!

• I’d use anyone but sainsbury if I was you, this company has nosedived since buying Argos, they are trying to cutback so much to recuperate lost revenue by buying a lump of dung, so problems are going to get worse.
    If you know any vulnerable or elderly then help them out and go to lidl or aldi to save them money.