Lidl is being boycotted by hauliers for being “inflexible” threatening to leave shelves empty

Delivery

Lidl is facing a boycott from hauliers across the UK which threatens to see goods including vegetables, bread and toilet roles absent from its shelves.

According to The Grocer, the UK’s leading haulage companies are choosing to boycott the discount grocer as they prioritise more cooperative supermarkets amid the ongoing driver shortage crisis.

The shortage forcing chilled haulage companies like Fowler Welch, FreshLinc and Turners to cut deliveries to certain retailers, prioritising their severely limited resources for companies working with them help alleviate the impact of the crisis.

However, Lidl is understood to have remained inflexible maintaining policies such as rejecting lorries that turn up late to distribution centres.

“There’s a bit of a boycott against delivering to Lidl because they’re being inflexible and not listening to what’s going on,” director at one haulage company told The Grocer.

READ MORE: Supermarkets to be given “flexibility” over late-night deliveries amid driver crisis

“If you prioritise who you want to do and who you don’t, then Lidl always falls at the bottom of the list.”

Lidl said that it had been experiencing stock shortages in recent weeks due to “disruptions to supply chain networks”.

A spokesperson added: “Nevertheless, we are aware that there are still ongoing issues for some suppliers, and we are committed to working through these with them to help find suitable solutions.”

Other retailers like Booths and Spar are also understood to have been hit hard by the driver shortage, seeing companies prioritise bigger players.

It comes as communities secretary Robert Jenrick called on local councils to disregard rules which “restrict the time and number of deliveries from lorries and other delivery vehicles” stores can receive over the next six months.

Jenrick urged councils to ensure these rules, designed to protect local residents’ sleep, do not become a “barrier to deliveries” during the crisis.

Click here to sign up to Charged‘s free daily email newsletter

Delivery

• Craig Richards
    July 16, 2021 4:59 pm

Give mm freight a call we can deliver your fresh and frozen goods all around the country

• Kevin Collyer
      July 27, 2021 6:57 am

What a stupid comment. Trying to make real changes, and all you care about is scoring a customer. You’re part of the problem!

• Douglas Vick
    July 16, 2021 7:46 pm

Goodday… Remember also drivers hate going to Lidls as drivers are expected to unload their selves and break down mixed pallets. All very time consuming for the haulier.!!!!

• Ian Marshall
    July 17, 2021 5:38 pm

Who wants to drive a lorry
    Just about every body is out to get you
    The police
    Dvla
    DSA
    Trading standards
    Councils
    Local council
    And do gooders who see a truck and report it for being in there road
    Who would be a trucker

• Well said! Never mind truckers are been paid peanuts for what they do hours they put in and the responsibility they have! Recognise what they are doing properly you will soon have no problems

• Good. Hit them in the pocket. Lidl with soon change their minds when the shelves are empty and the shareholders won’t be making any profit. They better rethink opening all of these new stores if they are playing dirty.

• Stock levels are awful at Lidl in my area, think I will shop elsewhere next week, well I’ll have to.

• Allan Townend
    July 24, 2021 8:08 pm

Most of the Semi/retired Class 1 Drivers are in their 60s and to ask a guy whose just driven 250 miles to start unloading and restacking pallets. Like asking a jet pilot to unload your luggage after a 4 1/2 flight.”!!! Shame on you LIDL. Also why would anyone waste a week of their Life doing a Cpc at 60+ get a grip Government.

• I agree 100%. Why a 60 plus year old driver need a C.P.C. I have been driving for many years carried/hauled almost everything from food,building material,including dynamite,electric pylons. Tell me mister V.O.S.A.=D.S.A. why do I need a C.P.C. the first truck I drove was when I was 9 years old though off road. A Bedford T.K. 56 years ago.For me to obtain a C.P.C. I consider it a gross insult. My driving record and a clean licence speaks for itself.

• Exactly why I quit, the imbecilic CPC test; 40 years experience and then this to pay for, bollox, retired.

• RACHEL COWAN
    July 27, 2021 12:33 pm

I’m a class 1 driver. I will not deliver to lidl and aldi. I don’t mind taking the stuff off the trailer. I object to being told to place the pallets in different places all over the warehouse. Then having to partially unstack the pallet because its too high, I’m 5ft6in!!!!

• Raymond Ellis
    August 1, 2021 5:03 pm

I am a class 1 driver (old school) aged 61 and recently retired, I work two days per week for an supply agency for Sainsburys, the hours are not too bad, I do enjoy driving and get to drive decent trucks. Last week (Monday) the 26th July 2021 my agency increased our pay to £19 per hour, not bad! and only last week another depot lost over 75 drivers, all went next door to Morrison as they raised their rates. This is going to happen a lot more, as drivers juggle for the best rates. Also there are not many decent toilets around on the A12 lots of lay bys, but no toilets facilities, apart from on the motorway service stations. As for the CPC?? get rid I say.

• Stephen Webster
    August 14, 2021 12:15 pm

In Ontario Canada many companies have lost drivers to the U S were they can make 27.00to 31,00U S dollars per hour. With the cost of living in the U K and experienced truck drivers with 3 years experience should make 21lbs per hour Union city bus and truck drivers are making 31 dollars in Ontario or 24 lbs per hour . This is in a country ware has is one lb per liter and many employers will supply low cost housing for employees.

• I totally agree with getting rid of the CPC, as I see it, another way to hit LGV drivers in the pocket. Me personally, all these problems started many years ago when the supermarkets became all powerful. Cutting rates to their suppliers and them passing the cuts to their employees in low wages. And at the bottom, you have guessed it, the truck driver!!! Who in their right mind would honestly come into this industry!!!